I struggle with my skin all year round but find that, as the colder weather approaches, it begins to go downhill and my skin becomes dry, cracked and my eczema seems far more pronounced. This year I’m determined to tackle things head on and start a good routine now that will see me through winter without the dreaded lizard skin effect.
I’m lucky enough to try out a lot of products as you may have noticed (!), but when it comes to skincare there’s only a few brands I would really trust to tackle skin problems rather than just making me smell a little sweeter. I’ve been trying out a selection of products recently, for both face and body and wanted to share with you all how great they are, if you don’t already know.
For your body:
La Roche Posay are definitely top of the list and their extensive range of carefully crafted products are perfect for the sensitive and itchy among us. I’ve been trying out three products for my skin below the neck, with great results.
(1) Lipikar Huile Lavante (€13.75) - This lipid-replenishing cleansing oil can be used in the shower or bath and helps with extreme dryness and irritation in everyone from adults to babies. This is perfect if you suffer from eczema or random rashes as I tend to do and I love that a couple of drops in the bath will still have healing properties.
(2) Lipikar Baume AP (€18.50) – This only has the barest of fragrances and is a thick but easily absorbed moisturiser that makes your skin feel super soft and supple after just one application. This is perfect for any dry, gnarly patches anywhere on the body and is a dream on my patches of unruliness that pop up of their own accord.
(3) La Roche Posay Thermal Spring Water (€9) – Finally, this all purpose thermal water is a must-have in any household. It cools down your skin, works as a toner, refreshes makeup and soothes any irritated skin on the face or body.
For your face:
(1) Pai Facial Cleanser and Eye Makeup Remover (£15 for 50ml size) - This all purpose cleanser can be used to easily remove eye makeup in a flash and the included muslin cloth means you can use it as a proper wet cleanser on the rest of your face. This is a vegan product and free of any nasties so it’s perfect for dry, sensitive skin.
(2) Avéne Cleanance Gel (€15.25) – This soap free cleansing gel is soft and cleans your skin really well without leaving it tight and dry. It helps with blemishes and is infused with Avéne thermal water which is always a bonus.
(3) A’Kin Pure Rose Hydrating Mist (approx €18) – I use this every night to tone my skin as traditional toners are far too harsh on my skin and leave them feeling really sensitive. This has a beautiful light rose scent and does a great job at toning my skin but can be used throughout the day and to refresh tired looking makeup.
(4) La Roche Posay Toleraine Ultra (€18) – This face moisturiser is a perfect accompaniment to the body products above and guarantees deep hydration without any nasty sensitivity or pore clogging problems. It is the first treatment with Neurosensine which the brand says helps relieve the daily discomfort of ultra-sensitive, allergy prone or intolerant skin.
(5) Weleda Skin Food (approx. €14) – Finally, I turn to my well loved Weleda Skin Food for a few times a week when my skin needs a really heavy dose of moisturisation. This can be used all over the body but is a god-send on your face is you suffer from dry skin. It also smells heavenly which is a lovely bonus.